Skip to content

J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Reporting

  • J-1 students must obtain authorization prior to beginning any type of employment, including on-campus jobs and assistantships. 22 CFR 62.23(g)
  • The authorization is valid for 12 months or when the student's program or employment end, whichever is sooner.
  • An OISS responsible office must approve the specific employment in writing before the student begins working.
    • Students with DS-2019s issued by a sponsor other than the University of Nevada, Reno, such as IIE, should contact their J-1 Responsible Officer for employment permission.
  • On-campus employment is limited to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters.
    • Students may work more than 20 hours per week during school vacation periods.
  • Student is in good academic standing.
  • Student is enrolled full-time, except for official school vacation periods.
  • Employment totals no more than 20 hours per week, except during official school vacation periods and the student's annual vacation.
  • The responsible officer has approved the specific employment in advance and in writing.
Types of On-Campus Employment
  • Employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship.
  • Employment that occurs on-campus as long as the employer provides direct services to students such as Starbucks in the Joe Crowley Student Union.
  • Employment that occurs off-campus, which is necessary because of serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since acquiring exchange visitor status.
How to Apply
Login to complete one J-1 Student On-Campus Employment Reporting Form for each on-campus employer you have.
  • A new application is required:
    • every 12 months,
    • if your work hours change, and
    • when you start new on-campus employment.
  • If your work will be a combination of full-time (more than 20 hours per week during school vacation periods) and part-time (no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session) then you need to submit two separate applications.
  • The employment permission will be valid for 12 months from the employment start date or when your program or employment end, whichever is sooner.
  • You will get an email from once the request is processed in SEVIS.
  • If this is not your first semester at UNR as a J-1, login to check the employment dates for your most recent on-campus employment report, if you previously submitted one, to select the start date for your new submission to show continuation in employment if there were no gaps in your employment.